- Private, coeducational independent liberal arts college located in Saratoga Springs, New York.
- Performance indicators heading in right direction, yet leadership wanted to move faster.
- Need for a unique voice to attract competitive applicants.
- Misperceptions in the marketplace driving reputation as an artsy school, soft on academics.
- Through internal research, discovered the school’s core belief that achieving excellence in any field – literature, chemistry, mathematics – required creativity to push the boundaries of conventional thinking.
- Confirmed prevailing misperception among prospective students and families that the college was not academically rigorous and especially weak in sciences.
- Developed and tested brand positioning alternatives to identify the winning concept that resonated with internal audiences and motivated prospective students to inquire and apply.
- Crafted the tagline, “Creative Thought Matters,” to encapsulate the school’s brand positioning.
- Offered guidance and counsel to Skidmore’s marketing group to execute the strategy across multiple communications platforms, including the website and social media.
- 20% increase in high-ability, no-need applicants two years after implementation.
- The acceptance rate decreased from 48% to 35% two years after implementation.
- The concept resonated so much with students that it took on a life of its own.
NEW: Skidmore’s Virtual Student Experience
EdwardsCo created a first-of-its kind virtual student experience for Skidmore. See it now